Saturday 7 May 2011

IIHF World Championship | Day 9 | May 7th, 2011

Still reeling from last night's Playoffs shenanigans, but was ready for some World Championship action and I just finished watching Norway-Canada. It was like a little band-aid for the hurt hockey soul ;) *exit dramatics*

Anyways, here today's round-up!

[Austria-Slovenia] 3-2. Austria manages to win one and makes the last game of the Relegation Round exciting. The two teams that win their next game will earn their stay in the top division. Fun when teams fight like that.

[Belarus-Latvia] 3-6. A haphazzard World Championship for both countries. Win a few lose a few, no real consistency in sight. But hey, a game with this many goals is always fun. And the upside is that because Austria won as well, tomorrow's final games of the Relegation Round will be truly exciting as each team can either win a stay in next year's World Cup or be relegated to the First Division.

[Denmark-Germany] 4-3. Germany already qualified for the next round, so this outcome is acceptable for them. And although the Danes managed to win this one, their World Cup is over as they needed a regulation win to stay in the running. Instead this game went all the way to SO and we have seen the last couple of games that the Danes keep their cool in this situation and can turn it to their advantage.

[Norway-Canada] 2-3. I watched this one and I must admit that it was a nice soothing game. Canada was playing a calm and collected game and halfway through the third period the score was 3-0. Then the Norwegians woke up and increased pressure and suddenly this turned into a game again! At 51:36 the score was 3-1. At 52:49 it was 3-2 and I must admit that I sat up a bit straighter and got just a tad anxious. But the Canadians hung in there and have secured their spot in the Quarter Finals! Yay!

[Finland-Slovakia] 2-1. Chose to watch this one over USA-France, thinking it would be the more exciting of the two. Well, two periods into the game, a 1-0 lead for the Slovaks and I was bored so much I continued writing this article rather than concentrating on the game. At some point in the third period the players started to skate a bit faster, there was more puck movement and what do you know? The Finns scored, twice in succesion, to clinch the win and their place in the Quarter Finals. Oh, both goals were scored by Ruutu. And the Slovaks had dreams of medals and what not but it was not meant to be. The sad faces of the Slovak fans were making me go 'Awwwwww' :(

[USA-France] 3-2. Hmm, not much to report here. Some crazy reporting going on and I cannot make much sense of it. A 3-2 win over France does not sound very commanding to me, but the IIFH site suggests that the French were outclassed by far. I feel like shrugging a bit. And as I type this the Flyers tweet that JVR will be joining Team USA. Sounds like an excellent idea, they can use some offensive power! But OK, the French have no chance at moving on to the Quarter Finals and can start packing. Team USA has plenty of opportunity and I hope they take it.

Tomorrow my faves are playing - Russia and Switzerland - I hope they will win their respective games :) ... and I hope to see Ovi in good spirits!

2 comments:

  1. Czech will win and lose one point to Germany tommorow, so Germany will get the 3rd Place and wont have to face Canada... ;)

    I hope Slovenija will stay in the Top Division, cause I dont like the belarussian team... I grew into liking the slovenijan team, cause they played really good games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh and you will bet on those results too? You know your luck has not been so great xD

    ReplyDelete