Friday 13 May 2011

IIHF World Championship | Day 14 & Day 15 | May 13th, 2011

Guys, the Blogger user interface was down for two days, keeping me from posting! *shakes an angry fist at Blogger*. I have had a lot of catching up to do. Will keep the IIHF WC overview short and sweet. Or maybe just short if it turns out to be a boring read lol

Day 14
[Finland-Norway] 4-1. Sad for my buddy Ferdinand, he is Norwegian and quite possibly the biggest Polar Bears fan in the world. I was at work, so I kept an eye on the score on the IIHF site. And when I saw that Norway had the first goal I was pleasantly surprised, but then Finland upped the ante and scored four goals, all in the second period. Norway had no response so they failed to beat the Finns for the 17th or so time.

[Canada-Russia] 1-2. This was a tough game for me. Historically speaking I will root for Canada over the USA, but I will root for Russia over Canada. This year so many of my Leafies were playing for Canada that I had a slight preference for Canada. I have not seen the game, but all reports are saying this was an awesome game. And a Twitter buddy of mine who was actually at the game sent several updates and was especially positive about the atmosphere in the arena and the great hockey played by these great hockey nations. So the Canada loss was harsh, but at the same times seeing Russia move on was splendid in its own right.

Day 15
[Czech Republic-Sweden] 2-5. After that awesome win over the USA, you would think the Czechs would bring that momentum to their next game. Instead they allowed the Swedes to dominate them. First period was a snoozefest but then the Swedes turned up the pressure and although the Czechs managed to score first, the Swedes simply outshot them leading to a lead at the end of the second period. And they kept it up in the final period, making it a rather huge 5-2 win.

[Finland-Russia] 3-0. Yes I know the Finns are a great team. But I really needed a bit of hockey happiness after a rough time as a fan. Flyers swept by the Bruins. The Red Wings nearly fought back to a series win after a 3-0 game deficit, but then lost Game 7. The Canadians got sent home by the Russians. Does a girl not deserve some hockey happiness? Probably not, because Russia got ousted. I watched the second period and a bit of the third. But after the 2-0 I gave up. I will normally watch any game, suffer the worst of losses, but today I just could not keep it up.

I hope that the Swedes clinch the gold on Sunday and if luck will have it I hope for a bronze medal for the Russians. Right now I need an Advil ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment