Monday 2 May 2011

IIHF World Championship | Day 3 | May 1st, 2011

My quick end-of-day update!

[Russia-Slovenia] 6-4. Hmm, you would expect Russia to have a little less trouble with Slovenia. Slovenians were happy with their game despite the loss. I wish I had been at home for this game, especially for the third period where it rained goals ;) Kovalchuk was doing his thing, so was Afinogenov and it is fun to see Nabokov in goal. Still suspended from the NHL as he refused to report to the Isles when he was picked up on waivers earlier this year lol

[Canada-France] 9-1. My word, that is some serious ass-kicking. Spezza got one, Skinner scored twice and Nash  scored too. Reims of course had a great game. He got replaced by Dubnyk for the last 14 minutes (at which point it was 7-1). I checked why - got worried maybe Reims got injured or whatever - and apparently it was to get Dubnyk some ice time too. Makes sense. Oh, and Phaneuf was pronounced best player of the game for the Canadians. Nice going my Leafies. I had a look at the game stats. Yes, it is true. I can hardly believe it myself ;) ... and it was fun to see all Team Canada guys were plusses ;)

[Slovakia-Germany] 3-4. I got home in time to see the Germans lead 4-0. Seconds later the Slovaks made 4-1, then the Germans almost let the game slip ;) ... like Jurcina put it: "We said that if they can score three in a period, so can we. With a few more minutes, we probably would have tied it." Sort of like that saying 'We did not lose the game, we just ran out of time' ;) Anyways, the Germans probably surprised everyone by already having secured their place for the next round. Oh, Hossa, Gaborik and Hanzus are the other three NHL'ers playing for Slovakia. Just so you know. {edit: I forgot to mention Marian Gaborik in this list at first, thanks for setting me straight Sven!}

[Switzerland-Belarus] 4-1. Suppose things are not looking great for Belarus and Grabo will not go far in this World Cup. But good for Switzerland. I watched some Swiss teams during the Spengler Cup in December and I liked what I saw. Goran Bezina played well, I remember him from that tournament where he took a puck in the face doing some D work. I like that kind of dedication.

A fun World Championship so far!

4 comments:

  1. 1. I watched Slovenija vs. Russia... It would be my favourite game for forever if Slovakia would have managed to get points out of that :D Russia had big troubles with the Slovenians, tying the game three times! The Slovenians had luck with their goals (one puck hit an russian defender on the backhead, from where he dangled to the goal... the russian didnt get hurt by that play)...

    2. Marian Gaborik is an NHLer too ;)

    3. Slovakians would really have won if there were few more minutes... They put that much pressure on Pätzold in the last minutes, that I was really that he kept us in the game (Pätzold is the worst german starting goalie in the whole DEL imo... Jochen Reimer should have played)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, missed Gaborik! Sorry heheh. Corrected ;) and thanks for the other comments too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, wanted to write "...I was really suprised, that he kept us in the game"... too early for me :D ;)

    no problem ;)... if I had a blog, I would ignore Gaborik and his damn Rangers too, since my visit in the MSG :D ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heheh, understood what you wanted to say there anyways heheh, but yeah 6am? Really? Wow!


    Hmm, well you know what I think of the Rangers (ok, save for Lundqvist lol, him I would like at the Flyers lol) but in world cups I try to look past that hahah ... or any country team would suck lol

    ReplyDelete