Tuesday 3 May 2011

IIHF World Championship | Day 5 | May 3rd, 2011

And so Day 5 comes to a conclusion. Had planned to watch Canada-Switzerland and Russia-Slovakia, but due to a long day at work I was happy enough to catch the second game. Wish I had seen Canada-Switzerland too though, the reports are interesting. Anyways, as the day winds down, let me write up a quick overview of the games played.

[Slovenia-Germany] 2-3. Well well well, those Germans did it. For the first time since 1930 they started the World Cup with three wins in a row. I know this because the guys at the IIHF site said so. Do not worry! I have not magically turned into a stats-crunching, trivia-spewing blogger ;) ... anyways, the guys had to take it to SO, but a win is a win and the Germans are first placed in their group and moving on to the Qualification Round.

[Canada-Switzerland] 4-3. I am truly sorry I missed this gem. After Russia, Switzerland is my fave European team and I am glad they made things difficult for Team Canada. But Canada of course holds a special place in my heart. I prefer the outcome as it is, but I would not have minded too much if the Swiss had won this one. It took an OT goal to decide the victor of this game. Canada is first in Group B and the Swiss have secured second place. I am content.

[Russia-Slovakia] 4-3. Yeah, Russia won! It was an exciting game to watch and the tension of it all made me go walk around my place a few times. One such walk occured after the Slovaks made it 2-3. And because of it I missed Nikulin make it 3-3 ;) ... he scored two of the goals. Kovi also scored one; he played a good game. Russians are in second place in their group, right after those pesky Germans!

[France-Belarus] 2-1. Another OT game. I apologise, but I just could not get excited about this game. France is through to the Qualification Round, whereas Belarus will have to fight for survival in the Relegation Round. Next!

Oh, that was it for today. But here a pic for fellow Reimer fans! My buddy Ferd is in Slovakia to watch some games. Hell yeah, of course I am jealous. Hahah, I must also add that he is a fellow Flyers fan but he remembered my ramblings about Reims, so just for me - I like to think hahah - he took some pics! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment