Sunday 6 November 2011

Season 2011-2012 | The First Month

Looking at how the first month went, I can only say: "Wow. That is quite unexpected."

Lets just start with the current conference standings. I'm an Eastern Conference girl, but lets have a look at both. So, compared to last year, what is odd in the Eastern Conference? Yes, indeed! My Leafies are the current lead. And Boston is not. But, and this is actually quite ironic :D ... as I was writing this, the Bruins gave my Leafs an awful trashing (7-0). I like these little ironies of life! Plus admittedly, Seguin looked really good out there (got his first hattrick) and Timmie was up for his first shut-out game this season. Annoying, but praiseworthy nevertheless. Although I must point out that they were facing our third goalie, Ben Scrivens, recently called up from the Marlies.

Another unexpected turn of events: the Habs having a horrible season start. Well, not quite unexpected maybe, they didn't really look so strong at the end of last season either. Right now I can only gloat however, and I hope their season will get even worse. They did finally manage to go on a four-game winning streak, but that was curtailed by the ever despicable Rangers. Thank you! *yuck*



Onto the West. The Nucks and Red Wings are both struggling and not even in the top eight. Whereas one of last year's 'losers', the Oilers, are doing quite well. The young ones, Hall, Eberle & Nugent-Hopkins are having a great season start and I suppose that acquiring the seasoned Ryan Smyth from the Kings has proven useful. And how about Khabby?! Nice comeback. They were on my 'Like'-list last year (I love the underdog) so I will definitely keep an eye on these guys! Chicago as the current Conference leaders, that is just painful to see :p



But back to my Flyers and Leafs!


Flyers

It's like watching a brand new team. I am not going to lie. It took me a few weeks to get used to the new guys and frankly, I still have no idea what to make of them all. Simmonds and Couturier have impressed me somewhat, but all that money that went into acquiring Bryzgy ... are we getting our money's worth? I doubt it. I mean I like the guy and I have definitely not given up on him, but his season start is less than stellar with an SV% of .893. And when I look at how Khabby ($15m - 4yrs) and Vokoun ($1.5m - 1yr) have been performing, both the Oilers and Caps got themselves a steal for much better performing goalies.

Still, despite a few bad games along the line, all in all we are going strong enough. #4 in Conference is good in my book and you can tell the team is brimming with some type of weird energy. I just watched them play the Blue Jackets and they sent them home crying by winning 9-2! Apart from being delighted with seeing my guys win by such a margin I felt sorry for Rick Nash. Keep wondering when he will finally decide to move to a real team ;)


Leafs 

I know that staying at the top position in the Conference is an almost impossible task, so I am not going to expect that of my guys, but I am very hopeful about them making it to the Playoffs. They play well and along the way also manage to create enough chances and win games they are less comfortable playing. All the lines seem to be producing goals and I am enchanted especially by Kessel and Lupul. Sure, Kessel is a streaky guy, so it's a volatile player, but I like how he started the season. He's such an awkward young man off-ice, I just have to root for him.

Reims seemed on track too, so I hope his current injury will not continue nagging him. I need him back in goal. The Monster has played some decent games and makes for a fine backup I suppose. Scrivens had one good game but today got totally snowed under by a Bruins onslaught. OK, the D left much to be desired as well, but with Reims in net I doubt the 7-0 would have happened.


Who'd have thought ... ?

That Max Talbot would work out so well? You may recall I once wrote I have a secret crush on Talbot, which was doubly clandestine as he was ofcourse playing for the Penguins. So his very unexpected transfer to the Flyers was almost a blessing in disguise for me ;) ... and if he keeps up his current scoring trend he might be on his way to a 30 goal season (he had 8 goals last season). Anyways, he makes for an interesting addition and he seems to have taken on a bit more serious demeanor

♦ That Kessel would have such a hot start? I mean he was last season's top scorer of course and there is no reason why he wouldn't be again, but it was still unexpected and wonderful to see


Disclaimer ;)

Yes, yes, I know, by the time I posted this, the Pens had won their game and with one more game played are current Eastern Conference leaders, but for dramatic effect - and it's just a snapshot in time anyways - I am leaving the standings as they were when I started writing this article ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment