Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Heritage Classic Hockey Weekend – that includes the Monday

Some memorable games this past weekend. And as there were many early games, I got to watch plenty of hockey this weekend, yay!
Unless you live under a rock you know it was time for the Heritage Classic. And unlike the Winter Classic, this time around, there was plenty of snow! Maybe they should have called this one the Winter Classic ;)
Let me start by saying that I love hating on the Habs. It is my duty as a Flyers and Leafies fan. But even if it had not been my duty, I still would have hated them due their annoying trolling fanbase and PK Subban. Talented as hell, but a lousy personality on ice and so far nothing has hinted at him being a wonderful person off-ice. So before I list my thoughts about this game, let me just say … HELL YEAH! A 4-0 shut-out for the Flames. No, the Price certainly was not right *hahah lame joke, I know*
Things to remember:
-          It was really cold, they reported at least -15, but apparently it felt even colder; just breathing must have been an act of epic proportions
-          If I had been in the crowd, I would have worn several layers of clothing, a warm hat of sorts, thermal underwear, thermal socks, warm boots, a blanket and maybe even ear warmers
-          The ice was extremely bumpy. It made for fun bouncing pucks. And the reason the Habs gave for losing: their game is made up largely of passing, so they were at a disadvantage because of the bumpy ice. Whatever, they just lost because the Flames were so much better
-          A 4-0 shut-out and the first one on open ice. Great stuff
How did my two hockey loves fare?
The Flyers beat the Rags for the 4th time this season. Way to go! Although why they felt the need to give up a 3-0 lead is beyond me ;) … they got a bit complacent. But alright, they pulled through in the end, so I will not complain.
And the Leafies unfortunately lost in SO, but it certainly was not for lack of trying. They really played well, full out energy, but the Sens’ new goalie – Anderson – was on fire during his first game and denied us a score during regulation and OT. What a guy though, I am the world’s biggest softy, so I was happy for him to have such a great first game. He picked up the first star. And my favourite Leafie Reims picked up the second star. He was truly awesome! And he got his second shut-out. What a fine Leafie he has proven to be.

And in other related news:
The Isles are continuing to impress me! They beat the Panthers 5-1 and Moulson got himself a hattrick. *musing* Hattricks have got to be good for business, because lots of people will be buying new hats after throwing their hats on the ice. Beaten Panthers are also beneficial  to my Leafies in vying for that 8th spot on the Division. I know I’m deluded for keeping my hopes up that they will make the play-offs, but I just cannot stop myself ;)

My worries about tonight:
So, my Leafies are playing the Isles! Hah, with the current crazy scoring antics of the Isles I have to admit I am bit worried! I know that the Leafies can take them on, but for some reason they always seem to struggle a bit with (fellow) cellar dwellers. But I have to keep the faith. My Leafies will win! *mutters several prayers and sends Reims good vibes*
And my Flyboys play the Yotes tonight. These guys have been on 7-game winning streak. So time for them to cash in a loss *chuckle*. I know this should be easy for the Flyers, but am keeping my fingers crossed anyways. Waking up tomorrow morning and checking the results, will be a nerve-wrecking experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment